WPML translation of oe permalinks

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Stephen Harris 10 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Hi,

I started translating my site and am stuck on how to translate the permalinks set in oe settings. Should they be translated via “String Translation”, or somewhere else?

thanks,
    Miho

Miho Karlic

Hi Miho,

The permalink settings can be whatever you link (within reason, i.e. avoiding permalink ambiguity). Or are you wanting a different permalink structure for each language (I’m not sure if that’s possible…)?

Stephen Harris

Yes,

I was hoping to be able to translate the full URL for all taxonomies permalinks: Categories, Tags & Venues.

If SEO is of importance, leaving any part of the URL Not translated, does not make much sense, as the URL itself, is an important factor, especially when working with ccTLD or language subdomains like am.

Thanks,

Miho Karlic

Does WPML allow you to translate (post) “category” in the url? And other taxonomies?

It may because the url slugs are not translated (as its human input). If that’s the reason, then I can translate the default values, which – in which case, if you’re using the default values, it should work with WPML.

Stephen Harris

Yes,

WPML allows translation of everything. I already translated Event Categories & Tags. Even the Venues should work, but have not managed that yet.
    What confuses me, I came across only 1 string to translate in WPML:
    URL slug: training-schedules/registration, which is my default event (single) permalink I set in EO.
    I translated this slug but it still shows the default english version /training-schedules/registration/ instead of translation

I wonder why I’m not seeing the other taxonomy URL slugs as stings to translate?

Miho Karlic

From what I can make out on the WPML forums, translating (via the __ function) the default value of the url structure for the taxonomies should allow you to provide different values for different languages).

So are you saying – in addition to taxonomy urls not being translatable – that WPML allows you to translate the permalink structure for individual posts, but that these are not taking effect? Do you have a thread open with WPML that I could come in on – I’m not familiar with WPML’s sourcecode so being able to discuss the issues with you and a WPML dev might be helpful in identifying any bugs / any changes needed to EO.

Stephen Harris

Hi Stephen,

Sorry for delay but I’m not quit so fare yet.
    It’s a bit difficult to translate event organiser permalink structure and venues. Every time I try my default events become very slow. As my site is live in default language, I’m leaving this for a later task. As I’m not a developer, I will open a ticket with WPML, but before that, I think it would be wise I pass you the WP credentials and you take a look yourself. If this OK with you, please pass me an email address.

Thanks

Miho Karlic

Hi Miho

I’ve just sent you an email. You can also use this contact form: http://wp-event-organiser.com/contact

Stephen Harris
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
To enable me to focus on Pro customers, only users who have a valid license for the Pro add-on may post new topics or replies in this forum. If you have a valid license, please log-in or register an account using the e-mail address you purchased the license with. If you don't you can purchase one here. Or there's always the WordPress repository forum.