Using core WP categories/tags

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Stephen Harris 10 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hello,

Can I use standard WP Categories and Tags with events, instead of the custom ‘event-category’ taxonomy the plug-in uses?

I want to share categories and tags across all post types, including ‘posts’ and ‘events. Is it possible to use default WP Categories or should I create a new custom taxonomy for this?

Thanks for any help you can offer,
    Shaun

Shaun Woods

It’s possible, but the plug-in won’t do anything with these taxonomies:

function namespace_share_category_with_pages() {
        register_taxonomy_for_object_type( 'post_tag', 'event' );
        register_taxonomy_for_object_type( 'category', 'event' );
    }

add_action( 'init', 'namespace_share_category_with_pages', 20);

• This reply was modified 10 months, 1 week ago by  Stephen Harris. Reason: Fixed event CPT name
    Stephen Harris

Hi Stephen,

Thank-you for your speedy reply and sorry it’s taken me a while to respond – some life-stuff got in the way.

I tried adding that function, but it didn’t have any visible effect – neither Categories nor Tags were selectable from individual Event pages after I added it to functions.php. I checked under Screen Options, to no avail.

I’m not sure if this is what you meant by the plug-in not doing anything with these taxonomies, but I thought I’d mention it, just in case. Failing this, I’ll try adding custom taxonomies across all post types, including events.

Shaun Woods

Sorry Shaun, it should have been 'event' as the post type not 'eo_event'. I’ve fixed the original message.

With regards to the plug-in not doing anything with those taxonomies, I mean just that they won’t be displayed by the plug-in (e..g. on event listings or calendars). The templates can be edited to add that, however.

Stephen Harris
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
To enable me to focus on Pro customers, only users who have a valid license for the Pro add-on may post new topics or replies in this forum. If you have a valid license, please log-in or register an account using the e-mail address you purchased the license with. If you don't you can purchase one here. Or there's always the WordPress repository forum.