RSS?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  surfeinheit 11 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Thanks for the awesome plugin.
    Is there a way to output events from a certain category as an RSS feed?

Ties

Should be fairly straightforward. In fact WordPress may already be generating an rss feed… Try http://yoursite.com/events/event/feed/. The events will be ordered by event date rather than post date (as with normal feeds ) – not sure if that will upset / confuse some readers.

Stephen Harris

Awesome, didn’t know it was that simple.

Sadly if I try to have a look at my feed in Firefox I get…

XML Parsing Error: XML or text declaration not at start of entity
    Line Number 17, Column 1:
    ^

Vaughan

Hi Vaughan,

Looks like its not event specific: http://laughni.com/wp/feed/

Possibly a plug-in causing it?

Stephen Harris

Hey there,
    I’ve made a site template for this to take action…
    It’s really dirty code but it does it’s Job. I use a custom version of this template with a lot of custom fields but it should work as you find it here for standard templates.
    Customize as you like…

feed-rss.php

The problem with eo and the rss feed is the order of the feeds. In the most feed reader – the order is taken by the Tag. So I customized the to show the startdate of the occurence of the event – 2weeks. (-2weeks because rss readers often show items only if the is before today). I know it’s a dirty hack but it brings the shown events in a chronological order. (next event first and so on).

To use the template simply copy the feed-rss.php in your theme folder and create a new page. Inside the page editor you chose the “feed-rss” template and save your page. Now you can use the permalink to this page as your rss path.

To show the right date in the rss feed I’ve taken the div from the single template of eo. Feel free to customize as long as you let your stuff inside the Tag.
    I hope it helps a little out..

Cheers, Konrad

surfeinheit

Oh sorry I forgot to explain the output for a special category:

You find inside the feed-rss.php a simply eo_get_events loop. The loop arguments you have to edit to show only a special category or to show more events in your rss feed at the same time…
    You can also let show events in the past… You can do everything the eo_get_events could do…

surfeinheit

So the third try – I’ve just seen that all the tags are deleted.

Hey there, I’ve made a site template for this to take action… It’s really dirty code but it does it’s Job. I use a custom version of this template with a lot of custom fields but it should work as you find it here for standard templates. Customize as you like…

feed-rss.php

The problem with eo and the rss feed is the order of the feeds. In the most feed reader – the order is taken by the pubDateTag. So I customized theitem pubDate to show the startdate of the occurence of the event – 2weeks. (-2weeks because rss readers often show items only if the is before today). I know it’s a dirty hack but it brings the shown events in a chronological order. (next event first and so on).

To use the template simply copy the feed-rss.php in your theme folder and create a new page. Inside the page editor you chose the “feed-rss” template and save your page. Now you can use the permalink to this page as your rss path.

To show the right date in the rss feed I’ve taken the div div class="entry-meta" from the single template of eo. Feel free to customize as long as you let your stuff inside the Tag. I hope it helps a little out..

Cheers, Konrad

surfeinheit
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
To enable me to focus on Pro customers, only users who have a valid license for the Pro add-on may post new topics or replies in this forum. If you have a valid license, please log-in or register an account using the e-mail address you purchased the license with. If you don't you can purchase one here. Or there's always the WordPress repository forum.