"Pending" Status and PayPal Bookings

WordPress Event Management, Calendars & Registration Forums General Question "Pending" Status and PayPal Bookings

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Stephen Harris 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Hi Stephen,

Been a happy Event Organiser Pro user for quite some time now!

Just started noticing that event bookings are showing as “Pending” even though the payment has successfully been taken by PayPal. Essentially, it looks like they are not being set to “Confirmed” as they were previously, and this is causing a few headaches!

There is no “Gateway Response” shown for the effected bookings, which is very odd to say the least as PayPal has very definitely taken the purchasers’ money!

For the sake of reference, we are running the latest versions of WP, Event Organiser/Pro.

Any ideas why this might be?

I will very much look forward to hearing from you with your thoughts!

Alex

Alex Stanhope

Hi Alex,

If you add

define( 'EVENTORGANISER_DEBUG', 'debug');

to your wp-config.php (above where it says you should stop editing). That will enable some additionally logging in a file eventorganiserpro.log (by default to the WP_CONTENT directory).

To test this, make a POST request to the url http://yoursite.com/wp-json/eventorg/v1/gateways/paypal/ipn, if you check your content directory, it should have that file in it, with the error: “IPN failed: Invalid receiver email”.

If you then make a booking or wait for a booking to come through, you should see an error message in the logs which will indicate why the booking is not being updated.

If you see no error message at all then that probably means PayPal cannot access your site (unlikely, unless you are blocking access to part of your site).

Stephen Harris

Hi Stephen,

Thanks so much for the message, and good shout on enabling the logging!

Just tried it, and this was the response:

{“code”:”rest_no_route”,”message”:”No route was found matching the URL and request method”,”data”:{“status”:404}}

Any ideas what’s going on with it, and what can be done?

Alex

Alex Stanhope

Also, in /wp-content/eventorganiserpro.log, this was shown for the last “live” PayPal transaction made:

[eventorgpro-warning] 2019-12-19 10:25:09 66.211.170.66 IPN failed: Could not validate: cURL error 28: Resolving timed out after 10000 milliseconds Array

My guess is that something’s up with the REST API or cURL, but not sure what I can do to fix/diagnose the issue; any thoughts?

Alex

Alex Stanhope

Hi Alex,

When the IPN is received by your site the plug-in sends the payload back to PayPal to verify that is genuine. This is failing because the request to PayPal appears to be taking longer than 10 seconds.

I’ve tested this, and for me PayPal’s endpoint is taking between 1-2 seconds, so I don’t think it’s PayPal’s endpoint is taking more than 10 seconds.

Could there be any firewall applied to your server which prevent outgoing https connections? Do you have SSH access to your server, can you try

curl -X POST https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr -F cmd=_notify-validate

you should get back INVALID, but if it hangs for more than 10 seconds, then likely you’ve got something blocking the request.

Stephen Harris
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
To enable me to focus on Pro customers, only users who have a valid license for the Pro add-on may post new topics or replies in this forum. If you have a valid license, please log-in or register an account using the e-mail address you purchased the license with. If you don't you can purchase one here. Or there's always the WordPress repository forum.