Ordering events (not venues) by distance

WordPress Event Management, Calendars & Registration Forums General Question Ordering events (not venues) by distance

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Alex Reynolds 9 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Another question: how can I sort $events by distance from my centre point?

At the moment when I extend the distance parameter for my $venue_query, so that both my test events are matched, $events is sorted by post ID, not distance. If I set my centre point to Aberdeen, my Edinburgh event is displayed first since it has the lowest post ID.

I’ve tried passing

'orderby' => 'distance',
    'order' => 'ASC',

to the $venue_query (inside and outside the proximity array, with no effect) as well as the $events array, again with no effect.

Please feel free to move this to the “General Question” forum as it’s a “How do I” query rather than a bug. Thanks, David.

Pixelatic

Its not currently possible to sort events by distance, just venues. This is because its venues that have the the co-ordinates, not the event. So while it would be possible (with a lot of SQL tinkering), its not natively supported. I’ll consider support for this in 1.5 (the changes I think would too involved to detail there, though it would be possible to implement this feature with code in a utility plug-in / theme, that is, without editing the core plug-in).

Stephen Harris

Hi Stephen, I have solved this by running a custom WP_Query while iterating through the $venues array returned by eo_get_venues(). For each $venue I’m using tax_query to display events with a matching event-venue term_id like so:

$loop = new WP_Query(array(
      'post_type' => 'event',
      'tax_query' => array(
      'relation' => 'AND',
        array(
          'taxonomy' => 'event-venue',
          'field' => 'id',
          'terms' => $venue->term_id,
        ),
      ),
    ));

Not optimal I know – if I have 100s of venues I’ll be running a new WP_Query for each, and I can’t see an easy way of implementing paging. I’ll live without that for now. However it does work.

It would be great if you could implement a function (or add-on) which could accomplish this more elegantly.

Pixelatic

Absolutely, I’ll keep you posted on this thread.

Stephen Harris

Has any progress been made on this? I too am looking to sort events by distance (the distance from the venues, anyway).

Alex Reynolds

Hi Alex,

Sorry, I should have posted an update on this. This is possible, to order events by distance you need to:

• Set orderby to distance
    • Provide a valid proximity query in the venue_query attribute:

For example:

$events = new WP_Query( array( 
       'post_type' => 'event',
       'orderby' => 'distance',
       'venue_query' => array(
            'proximity' => array(
                'center' => array( 'lat' => 55.9485588, 'lng' => -3.198519 ),
                'distance' => 10,
                'unit' => 'miles',
                'compare' => '<='
           ),
        ),
        'event_start_after' => 'today'
    ));
    • This reply was modified 9 years, 11 months ago by  Stephen Harris. Reason: Corrected example
    • This reply was modified 9 years, 11 months ago by  Stephen Harris. Reason: Corrected example
    Stephen Harris

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for getting back to me! Unfortunately, I’m still having a problem sorting events by distance… What I had in my code was already quite similar to what you just posted:

$venue_query = array( 
                                'proximity' => array(
                                    'center' => $userloc,
                                    'distance' => 100,
                                    'unit' => 'km',
                                    'compare' => '<='
                               ),
                            );
    // The new WP query
    $my_queryn = new WP_Query(array( 
                                    'post_type' => 'event',
                        'orderby'=> 'distance',
                                    'tax_query' => array(
                                        array(
                                            'taxonomy' => 'city',
                                            'field' => 'slug',
                                            'terms' => $cityname,
                                            'operator' => 'IN'
                                        )
                                    ),
                                    'venue_query' => $venue_query,
                        'event_start_after' => 'midnight',
                        'event_end_after' => $rightnow,
                        'event_end_before' => 'tomorrow 02:00',
                        'posts_per_page' => 200,
                                ));

However, this returns no posts whenever I set orderby to distance. When I remove 'orderby' => 'distance', results do come up. I know that some sort of distance is being handled for sure, as when I change the distance in the venue query, the results change accordingly.

Do you have any insights as to why this would be? I feel like I’m missing something…

Alex Reynolds

Hi Alex,

It appears there is a bug in that the orderby => distance cannot be used in when using tax_query. This will be fixed in 1.8.0 (the beta of which is due to be released in the next few weeks).

Stephen Harris

Aha you have solved the mystery! Thanks for helping me out! I guess I’ll find a way around taxonomy queries for now.

Alex Reynolds
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
To enable me to focus on Pro customers, only users who have a valid license for the Pro add-on may post new topics or replies in this forum. If you have a valid license, please log-in or register an account using the e-mail address you purchased the license with. If you don't you can purchase one here. Or there's always the WordPress repository forum.