Google map not appearing

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Stephen Harris 11 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Hello, I’ve tried inserting the venue map using both the shortcode [eo_venue_map] in the post and directly in the single-event.php file using

<?php echo do_shortcode('[eo_venue_map]'); ?>

Unfortunately no map appears, although the following html is outputted:

<div class='eo-venue-map googlemap' id='eo_venue_map-2' style='height:200px;width:100%;' >

Do I need a maps API key or anything like that, or should everything be handled within the Event Organiser plugin?

I’m using the twenty twelve theme.

Many thanks,

Alex

Alex

Hi Alex,

No, it should work as is. There is probably a javascript error somewhere – have you checked using your browser’s console? If you are able to post a link to your site I can take a look. Since you using TwentyTwelve ( and I’ve used this when testing ) – its probably a plug-in conflict, so you could try disabling all other plug-ins to check.

Stephen Harris

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for getting back to me. I’ve just deactivated all plugins except Event Organiser and unfortunately no luck. Looking at the source code there isn’t actually any JavaScript which would explain why the map isn’t showing.

The site is in it’s very early stages and this is my first WP site so please forgive my ignorance and coding ability… you can see the event page at http://www.skateparks.co.uk/events/event-3/ and you’ll need to use the username and password ‘stephen’ to get past the .htaccess login.

If it’s simply the case that the javascript file isn’t being included I could add it manually to the template if you could confirm where it is?

Other than that it’s a great plugin, exactly what I needed, although as you’ll see I’m still formatting the layout to my needs.

Thanks for your help

Alex

Apologies, It appears by setting your username and password the whole .htaccess was rewritten breaking the site. I believe I’ve fixed it now and you should be able to see the page if you wish to.

Alex

Hi Alex,

Quick check and you’re right, the javascript isn’t loading. Does the theme you are using call wp_footer()? – this is needed as the scripts are loaded in the footer

Stephen Harris

Also, once this is sorted, just so you’re aware, you can use eo_get_venue_map() rather than do_shortcode().

Stephen Harris

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your help. I’ve got it working nicely now. It was simply that wp_footer() was missing from the template.

I noticed that it adds quite a few JS scripts. Since I’m not going to be using them all is there a way to block those I do not wish to use?

I noticed that you were looking to bring out a pro version in the near future, count me in :-). I think the venue custom fields will be really useful. It will be good, for example, to include details of the full address, telephone number etc.

Thanks again,

Alex

Alex

Great, glad its working now 🙂

Probably not all of those scripts are loaded by Event Organiser. However, all ‘frontend javascript’ sits in the one file (the idea is to reduce HTTP requests) – the downside of that, is that there are some pre-requisites (say jQuery UI) that is only required for some things but not others – but are loaded because its required for other things in the frontend script (the calendar say).

I’ll be looking in 1.8 at how to improve this (for example dynamically adding prerequisite scripts, and/or dynamically building the frontend script). I’ll need to look into it more to see how best to improve efficiency.

This only effects pages where you need the Event Organiser frontend script to run (on all other pages, Event Organiser shouldn’t load anything).

Stephen Harris

I meant to add, r.e. the pro version – I am aiming for a March release – though I shall require some beta testers before then. Feel free to drop me a line if you’d be interested.

Stephen Harris
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
To enable me to focus on Pro customers, only users who have a valid license for the Pro add-on may post new topics or replies in this forum. If you have a valid license, please log-in or register an account using the e-mail address you purchased the license with. If you don't you can purchase one here. Or there's always the WordPress repository forum.