Generic event's content

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Patrick Sergerie 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your great plugin ! I just bought the EO pro version and I am excited to start using it !

I read most of the topics related to “Duplicate”, “Copy” and “Recurring” questions but I can’t figure out the best way to go to suit my specific needs.

I would like to create around 100 “generic” conferences / seminars that could be scheduled over and over again in the future. Title, long description, short description, name of the speaker and other custom fields would be generic information while the venue, date and time of the event would change from time to time.

My understaning is that I may be able to do that in 2 ways :

1) Create a single event with a “dummy” date so I can duplicate (using Duplicate Post Plugin per example) and modify it to schedule upcoming events requiring the generic content.
    2) Create a recurring event with a “dummy” start date and add / break an occurence to schedule upcoming events requiring the generic content.

My concern is that in both cases, it will leave a hundred dummy events in the archive which may not be desirable or may compromise, to a certain extend, some functionalities.

Since data entry will be tedious, your advice would be greatly appreciated as I would like to get off the right start.

Waiting for your reply,

Regards,

Patrick

Patrick Sergerie

Hi Patrick,

I’m not sure whether those 100 events are going to be duplicates of each other (in terms of title / description etc) or whether they’ll be different and you intended on duplicating each of them… But in either case, I would say create the event when you first need it, and then duplicate it when you need to (i.e. you know and what to publish the details of the subsequent event).

100 events will probably not cause you much issue, but it depends on a number of factors: how many dates in each event, your server’s capacity and other plug-ins you may have activated. I wouldn’t generally be concerned with 100 events in the database though.

Of the two options I would go with the first.

Stephen Harris

Thanks for the super fast reply Stephen !

The 100 events will be different and duplicating each of them will be possible. Nevertheless, I agree that it will not load the server as each event would be duplicated once or twice a year only.

That being said, I will follow your recommendation and try the first option.

On final thoughts, what would you think if I create all events at once (I would not want to spread this task over several years!) but leaving them saved as “draft” in wordpress instead of publishing them ? Another option would be to publish them as “private” events.

Regards.

Patrick

Patrick Sergerie

Hi Stephen,

And better off, what about creating a custom post status using the register_post_status() wordpress function and calling it “Generic event” to distinguish it from the in-process draft post status ?

Regards.

Patrick

Patrick Sergerie

Either post status or draft status would work.

You would only need a custom status of you wanted to filter the admjn view by those events or not, but draft would be the appropriate status.

Stephen Harris

Thanks for confirming !

Have a great week-end !

Cheers !

Patrick

Patrick Sergerie
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
To enable me to focus on Pro customers, only users who have a valid license for the Pro add-on may post new topics or replies in this forum. If you have a valid license, please log-in or register an account using the e-mail address you purchased the license with. If you don't you can purchase one here. Or there's always the WordPress repository forum.