Event Organiser Add-Ons

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Sajid 11 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

There are some fairly advanced features that certain groups of people want from Event Organiser, but will never make it into core because:

• adds to much to the plug-in
    • disrupts the UI too much for those who don’t need it
    • it would alter the behaviour of Event Organiser in a way that some people don’t want or need.

Such an example is event bookings. The solution: add-ons.

I’m currently developing a bookings add-on, but other add-ons have been requested. I’m throwing open this thread to encourage suggestions – but more importantly to encourage developers to build these add-ons!

Feel free to post here, or contact me if you are thinking of developing an add-on (free or otherwise). I may be able to arrange for the add-on to be publicised ( and possibly distributed) from this site.

In the mean-time, if you have any questions regarding add-on development – don’t hesitate to ask!

Some suggested add-ons:

• A weekly (emailed) digest of up-coming events
    • An RSS feed in which events only appear a set period before they occur
    • Front-end event creation
    • This topic was modified 11 years, 3 months ago by  Stephen Harris.
    • This topic was modified 11 years, 3 months ago by  Stephen Harris.
    Stephen Harris

Hello,

I’m using your plugin to manage trainings courses and so far I managed by using custom fields so I was thinking about either a dedicated training plugin or maybe a “fields by category” plugin that allows you to add some fields to each category

If I get time to work on something like that it would be probably the second solution because we are thinking of also managing technical presentation hosting with it and we would need different custom fields like speaker, langage, level, etc. while for training courses we have a pdf attached, a price, an internal reference, etc.

Do you have any roadmap for the plugin API and for the booking api that would be great to manage the registrations of the presentations ?

thank you

mathieu parisot

Hi Mathieu,

“fields by category” plugin that allows you to add some fields to each category

Sounds great! Also an add-on that would handle presentations (thinking speaker, slides etc) would be incredibly useful.

The current plug-in API consists of the available functions and hooks. Because Event Organiser is built on the usual custom post type API, a lot can be achieved building ‘alongside’ rather than ‘on’ the plug-in. For instance, the above two suggestions could be implemented with what is currently available (if you were content to have a seperate metabox for them).

That said I’m keen to develop an API to fit demand (feel free to make pull requests / open feature request on the GitHub tracker). Similarly the bookings add-on will come with extra functions and hooks. But to answer your question the roadmap would consist of any issues raised on GitHub. I’m about to announce 1.7 ready for beta testing – so 1.8 will probably include any additional hooks / functions required ( 1.8 ~ Feb-March ).

Stephen Harris

Thanks for the infos about the roadmap

Unfortunatly I most likely won’t have time to work on any extension for now and since it’s working quite fine with wordpress custom fields for now it will not become a priority for a while 🙂

It was more to give you some ideas and some feedback on how I use your cool plugin 😉

mathieu parisot

Hey Stephen,

I am using your plugin and i noticed that you have given and option to delete the past events. I was thinking to customize that thing and change the status from publish to draft or pending instead of deleting them. Now i saw you post on add-ons. I am interested on developing an add on for your plugin. I have 2 years of wordpress theme and plugin development experience.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

Sajid
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
To enable me to focus on Pro customers, only users who have a valid license for the Pro add-on may post new topics or replies in this forum. If you have a valid license, please log-in or register an account using the e-mail address you purchased the license with. If you don't you can purchase one here. Or there's always the WordPress repository forum.