EO settings

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Stephen Harris 10 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Can you add an option to move the “Event Organiser” settings from the “Settings Menu” into the Events post-type menu and only show it to admins?

It’s a little bit irritating having to scrolls down to the Settings menu.

Dave Navarro

It’s a little bit irritating having to scrolls down to the Settings menu.

This to me suggests that a setting(s) may have been miss-placed as part of the settings rather than the page itself should be moved. Which settings are requiring regular updating, they maybe in the wrong place? I can think of at least two instances of this myself (and they need to be addressed – and will be)

• Import / Export
    • Booking forms (probably)

Certainly the import/export stuff is in the wrong place, it’s not really a setting. It could go under Events, but in my opinion it would make most sense for it to be placed next to WordPress’ other import / export tools: namely the Tools section.

(Here’s my reasoning for having the settings in the settings section:) settings pages are typically visited only once or twice when the site is set up – rarely do they require regular visits or contain options which change in the day-to-day managing of events. Rather than having the settings link cluttering up the Events section – once set up, they can be largely ignored. Less clutter makes it easier to focus on every-day tasks.

I realise a lot of plug-ins add settings underneath a plug-in added menu, but I think this is wrong (I wrote an article about WordPress UI here and touched on this). In short a better UI is to be task focussed rather than plug-in focussed: the overall goal is to have the plug-in bleed so much into WordPress’ admin that it’s as if WordPress included it by default.

With regards to adding an setting, I think adding an option to move the settings page is probably an option too far – and isn’t as easily done when you consider backwards compatibility, and dependency of extensions.

Stephen Harris

Not a problem, I added a filter to put it there myself. 😉

Dave Navarro

Ah, ok. Yes, putting a shortcut link under “Events” isn’t too difficult.

(For others:)

function my_event_settings_shortcut() {
        add_submenu_page(
            'edit.php?post_type=event',
            'Settings',
            'Settings',
            'manage_options',
            'options-general.php?page=event-settings'
        );
    }
    add_action('admin_menu', 'my_event_settings_shortcut');

added to either a functionality plug-in or theme’s functions.php (preferably the former)

Stephen Harris
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
To enable me to focus on Pro customers, only users who have a valid license for the Pro add-on may post new topics or replies in this forum. If you have a valid license, please log-in or register an account using the e-mail address you purchased the license with. If you don't you can purchase one here. Or there's always the WordPress repository forum.