Custom fields meta box not showing on Events edit screen

WordPress Event Management, Calendars & Registration Forums General Question Custom fields meta box not showing on Events edit screen

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Stephen Harris 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Using Pro and FES extension plugins. I can’t find a way to display custom fields from a front-end submission form on a single Event’s edit screen. It just isn’t an option from the screen options. Am I missing something?

Ben McElroy

Hi Ben,

The FES extension just facilitates creating events from the front-end. By default, no custom fields are displayed on the frontend – you’ll need to modify the event template to display that information.

When you’re creating a FES form you can specify a meta key for the data – this is the same thing as the custom fields key, and so you can display the corresponding information in the same way you would display custom fields for a post, or any other post type. Please see this page for more information: https://codex.wordpress.org/Custom_Fields#Displaying_Custom_Fields

Which template to make the changes to depends on your set-up, but by default, and in most cases you can copy the template event-meta-event-single.php from the templates directory and into your theme and edit it there.

Stephen Harris

Hi Stephen! Thanks for the response. I don’t mean on the front end. I mean quite literally on the back-end Event edit screen for a single event post, there is no custom meta fields below the normal content and other custom meta boxes. The custom fields are just not showing up. When I go to the screen options, it isn’t even there as an option to select. Perhaps I have a plugin conflict? I am using Advanced Custom Fields plugin as well.

Ben McElroy

Looks like a plugin conflict that I’ll need to track down. Thanks for your assistance Stephen!

Ben McElroy

Okay now the standard custom fields meta box is showing up on the events edit screen but there’s no data? What’s going on? Don’t front end submissions extra fields save the data in the post meta? So shouldn’t it be showing up here?

Ben McElroy

Hi Ben,

It should store the data under the chosen meta key. If the meta key is prefixed with an underscore then WordPress will not show the key/value.

Can you export the form? You can send it via this contact form (but rename it to a .txt file first): https://wp-event-organiser.com/contact

Stephen Harris
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
To enable me to focus on Pro customers, only users who have a valid license for the Pro add-on may post new topics or replies in this forum. If you have a valid license, please log-in or register an account using the e-mail address you purchased the license with. If you don't you can purchase one here. Or there's always the WordPress repository forum.