Syncing with Google calendar ics feed causing tons of duplicate events

WordPress Event Management, Calendars & Registration Forums iCal Extension Syncing with Google calendar ics feed causing tons of duplicate events

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Stephen Harris 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hi there,
    I have ical sync on the basic version of EO but I am running into problems. I am syncing with a few Google calendar ics feeds and syncing is causing the calendar to create a new duplicate event each time. These are Gsuite calendars with Private ical links.

Trying to view the all events in the admin causes the site to throw a 503 error and the server admin says attempting to access it causes the mysql load to shoot up and stay very high. The eo_events table is massive – 1066347 rows and over 11MB in size alone. Sync has been running for awhile and the events being imported by the ical sync from google calendars are spawning multiple instances for each day they occur. Each time it syncs it creates a new duplicate event so it’s created hundreds of events for the same day and time and then each of those events repeats up to 2038. The database is overwhelmed.

Can this be fixed?
    Thanks!

Alane Cole

Hi Alane,

The plug-in should be storing the UUID for each event and then updating the event rather than re-importing it the second time.

Google calendar doesn’t change the UID (unless you delete the event and create a new one). It might be that there’s something continually doing that on the Google calendar, but even then the plug-in deletes events it imported if they are found to be missing from the feed on a subsequent sync.

I would recommend creating a Google calendar feed with one event, and then sync it. The event should have an entry in the wp_postmeta table with the key _eventorganiser_uid and the value set to the UID from the feed.

Assuming that’s correctly populated, the only other possibility is that another plug-in/theme is causing the query to lookup events by their UID to fail. The plug-in would then treat it as if it wasn’t in the feed. This is probably the more likely reason.

If you check your current database for duplicate values of _eventorganiser_uid, then it’s almost certainly something interfering with the look up.

Stephen Harris
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
To enable me to focus on Pro customers, only users who have a valid license for the Pro add-on may post new topics or replies in this forum. If you have a valid license, please log-in or register an account using the e-mail address you purchased the license with. If you don't you can purchase one here. Or there's always the WordPress repository forum.