Out Of Memory

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Stephen Harris 9 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Hello,

we bought the Event Manager Pro Version but it didnt work, there is a “Out Of Memory”-note. It “kills” all our events on our WordPress-Website and shots down all our modulations. We need your help to fix the problem. It’s a great tool when it works and we’ve payed for it, so we need your help.

Best Regards
    H. Schmieder

Holger Schmieder

Hi Holger,

Sorry to hear that you’re experiencing problems. The error your seeing indicates that the server has exhausted all the memory allocated to it. This is usually caused by using a large number of plug-ins or using plug-ins/themes which are ‘greedy’ or otherwise do a lot of ‘work’ (i.e. use up alot of memory). Often its more than one (analogy: each plug-in trying to grab a slice of pie, eventually it runs out!)

Your host may allow you to increase memory allocation, and this may resolve the issue. (http://codex.wordpress.org/Editing_wp-config.php#Increasing_memory_allocated_to_PHP). You can also increase the memory limit by following these steps:

Try adding this line to your wp-config.php file:

define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT','96M');

If you have access to your PHP.ini file, change the line in PHP.ini

memory_limit = 96M ; Maximum amount of memory a script may consume (96MB)

If you don’t have access to PHP.ini try adding this to an .htaccess file:

php_value memory_limit 96M

If you’re not sure, your host should be able to provide you with assistance.

However, even if that does resolve the issue, you will probably want to identify the plug-in or theme responsible (or mostly responsible) for using up all the memory. I’ll say here that I do not believe Event Organiser is solely responsible for the memory exhaustion. Despite the fact the error only occurs when you activate Pro, this could just as well be the “straw that broke the camel’s back”.

To give you an idea, my test install has 107 plug-ins installed, including Event Organiser, Event Organiser Pro and that clocks at 18M (well below the typical 32M or 64M limits), but if you think there is a memory leak in the plug-in, however, I’d be happy to investigate it further.

I’d recommend disabling your theme & plug-ins in turn and measuring memory usage. There are plug-ins available which do this, and Event Organiser also clocks this on the debug page (../wp-admin/edit.php?post_type=event&page=debug). Memory usage will vary from page to page – and any particular plug-in’s contribution will vary from page to page, but it serves as a rough indication.

If you notice the memory usage changes dramatically after a plug-in is activated/deactivated then that’s a fair indication that the plug-in is using a lot of memory. (This may not necessary indicate the plug-in is doing anything wrong – it may just have to do a lot of work – though this is rare in my experience). Hopefully you’ll be able to increase the memory allocation, in which case the whole problem is mute.

Stephen Harris

Hello Stephen,
    unfortunately this did not help. We are using the AVADA-theme (http://theme-fusion.com/avada/) wich is working with all other plugins without any problem. Only the Event-manager-pro-extension produce this error.
    Anyway, when i switch to an different theme e.g. TwentyForteen everything works.
    So this seams to be a incompatibility with the AVADA-theme.
    What can i do?
    Thanks for one more idea.
    Holger

Holger Schmieder

here are my system informations. Could it be a problem with WP 4.0 ? I’ve seen that Event Organiser is only tested with WP3.9.

Site url http://www.schmieder.de
    Home url http://www.schmieder.de
    Multisite No
    Permalink /%postname%/
    Event Organsier version 2.9.0
    WordPress 4.0. Event Organiser wurde nur bis Version WordPress 3.9.1 getestet
    jQuery Version 1.11.1
    PHP Version 5.4.32
    MySQL Version 5.1.73-log
    Web Server Apache
    PHP Memory Usage 28 / 256 ( 11% )<br />
    PHP Post Max Size 8M
    PHP Upload Max Size 40M
    PHP FSOCKOPEN Support Ja
    PHP cURL Support Ja
    OpenSSL Support Ja
    Plug-ins Captcha 4.0.4
    Event Organiser 2.9.0
    Event Organiser Posterboard 1.0.2
    Fusion Core 1.5.1
    Jetpack by WordPress.com 3.1.1
    Kento Post View Counter 2.7
    LayerSlider WP 5.2.1
    Revolution Slider 4.6.1
    WP User Avatar 1.9.13
    Theme Avada 3.6.1
    http://theme-fusion.com/avada/
    Databse Prefix: avada_
    Database tables eo_events
    eo_venuemeta
    Database character set utf8
    Debug mode Disabled
    WP Cron Enabled
    Timezone Europe/London ( 2 / )
    Language en_us
    Date Format j. F Y
    Time Format G:i

Holger Schmieder

Could it be a problem with WP 4.0 ? I’ve seen that Event Organiser is only tested with WP3.9.

No, Event Organiser (& Pro) work fine with 4.0 – but this was (mistakenly) not updated on the debug page. I’ll be in touch via e-mail, as it’s entirely possible there’s a conflict with the theme which causes the memory exhaustion error, but this would be a first!

Stephen Harris

I’ve just tested theme with Event Organiser, Pro, Avada, Avada’s recommended plug-ins and others, and I only get memory usage of 7MB.

Where exactly do you get this error message, and where does the memory run out?

You may also want to try Event Organiser, Pro and Avada with the other plug-ins deactivated in case its a conflict with another plug-in which brings memory usage to the ‘edge’ and Avada (as opposed to TwentyFourteen), pushes it over the limit.

Stephen Harris

The error occurs after enabling “Event Organiser Pro” And select than “List all events” in the admin interface.
    The fronted and all other menu items in the backend still working.
    this is the exact error:
    Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 33292288) (tried to allocate 45 bytes) in /homepages/20/d209010759/htdocs/schmieder.de/wp-includes/wp-db.php on line 1977

Holger Schmieder

Hello Stephen,
    OK, i found the problem plugin: Kento Post View Counter.
    When i disable that plugin everything is fine.
    In fact that i don’t need Kento-PVC i will delete it and can now proceed.
    Thank’s a lot for the very fast and professional assistance.
    Best regards
    Holger

Holger Schmieder

Great, I’m really glad that’s sorted. In the mean time, I’ll take a look at Kento Post View Counter to see if there’s anything that can be done my end to ensure compatibility.

Stephen Harris
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
To enable me to focus on Pro customers, only users who have a valid license for the Pro add-on may post new topics or replies in this forum. If you have a valid license, please log-in or register an account using the e-mail address you purchased the license with. If you don't you can purchase one here. Or there's always the WordPress repository forum.