Not working locally on XAMMP

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Stephen Harris 10 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

I purchased Pro today and tried installing it on the latest version of Apache Friends XAMMP on Windows 7 64-bit. The first problem was it could not verify the license and spit out this error:

Call to undefined function openssl_verify()

I addressed that by uncommenting ;extension=php_openssl.dll from php.ini, then restarting Apache.

Now, however, if I try to access the General tab on Event Organizer (http://localhost/mysite/wp-admin/options-general.php?page=event-settings&tab=general) it tries for a few seconds, then gives up with “the connection was reset” in FireFox. The other tabs work fine. I tried uninstalling/reinstalling a couple of times. There is nothing in the apache logs that looks useful.

It would be nice to get this working offline in XAMMP instead of having to do dev on a live server. Any ideas?

Jason Smith

Hi Jason,

It sounds like you don’t have the open SSL extension enabled – you can check this with phpinfo(). Its probably already installed, so to enable it you’ll just need to ensure extension=php_openssl.dll is present (and uncommented) in your php.ini file.

Stephen Harris

I got openssl installed and verified, but no go. I even re-installed WP and the plug-ins. I was thinking perhaps something in your license verification requires public access through ports I would not have open on a local XAMMP install?

Regardless, I put it on a real host and it worked fine so I’ll just dev on there.

Jason Smith

Hi Jason,

The latest update (1.2) won’t throw an error, but will return ‘invalid’ if the php_openssl.dll extension isn’t enabled. (So you shouldn’t get the “the connection was reset” messages). This will allow you to develop on XAMMP without that extension enabled.

But if the plug-ins isn’t able to communicate with the plug-in server then the key will still come back ‘invalid’ and you won’t be able to update.

Stephen Harris
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
To enable me to focus on Pro customers, only users who have a valid license for the Pro add-on may post new topics or replies in this forum. If you have a valid license, please log-in or register an account using the e-mail address you purchased the license with. If you don't you can purchase one here. Or there's always the WordPress repository forum.