Major Memory Usage

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Brad 11 years ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

I have loved the functionality of the event organiser plugin but recently it has slowed down our website immensely. Apache is consuming 70-80megs as soon as it is enabled. When we disable it, it moves back down to 10-20megs. This massive increase in memory usage cripples the load times of our website. Is anyone aware of any memory leaks or issues in version 2.0 ?

Brad

Hi Brad,

I’m not aware of any – but that’s not to say there aren’t any. Was it upgrading to version 2.0 that you noticed it? (And more to the point, which version did you upgrade from!).

Stephen Harris

It seems to be upon upgrading that we noticed it yes. I am unsure of the version number but we stay pretty current so I would assume it was the version before that. Any ideas? Your plugin is incredibly awesome and going without it will not be easy.

Brad

Mmm… recent upgrades have been pretty minor. (see commits). 2.0 was a fairly minor update to coincide with the release of the pro add-on. The last major update was from 1.7.4 to 1.8. Subsequent 1.8.x releases were to fix bugs. I’d recommend going back to 1.8.5 and seeing if the problem still persists, and if so, try 1.7.4. The 1.8 update included some fundamental changes in how queries are handled – so that seems an obvious place for this bug to have crept it.

I’ll try my end – but I’ve not noticed anything on my test sites. And if you’re able to check those versions then it’ll be easier to identify the culprit!

Stephen Harris

Thanks for the help. Where can I find the older versions of the plugin? I took a look at your github but didn’t see it at first glance.

What is the memory usage you find to be taken up by the plugin on a standard version of wordpress? I’m using WP-Memory-Usage for basic tracking. The numbers I gave you above are directly from my host watching the apache processes spike.

Brad

Each version is tagged on GitHub, but the easiest way to download them is via: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/event-organiser/developers/

You can view system information (including PHP memory usage via ?post_type=event&page=debug in your admin). In debug mode, a link will appear in the ‘Events’ menu.

What is rather odd is that WP-Memory-Usage and that debug page differ quite a bit – on the php limit and not just the usage. But in both readings it gives 4%-9%.

Stephen Harris

Actually the memory usage reading is consistent, the memory limit is not. In both cases < 12MByte (with various other plug-ins installed).

Stephen Harris

I’ll get back to you after speaking with my host and checking different versions. Thanks Stephen!

Brad
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
To enable me to focus on Pro customers, only users who have a valid license for the Pro add-on may post new topics or replies in this forum. If you have a valid license, please log-in or register an account using the e-mail address you purchased the license with. If you don't you can purchase one here. Or there's always the WordPress repository forum.