Index column size too large. The maximum column size is 767 bytes.

WordPress Event Management, Calendars & Registration Forums Report A Bug Index column size too large. The maximum column size is 767 bytes.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Stephen Harris 4 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hi Stephen,

sorry for bother you ones again. I had on an update today an error when the plugin try to update the table wp_eo_booking_ticketmeta to varchar(255).

The error is:

Index column size too large. The maximum column size is 767 bytes.

So I remove manually the index and change the field. But when I tried to recrate the index I get the error ones again.

The MySQL update was:

ALTER TABLE wp_eo_booking_ticketmeta CHANGE COLUMN `meta_key` meta_key varchar(255) default NULL

My DB has following settings:

show global variables like 'innodb_fil%' 
    # innodb_file_format    Barracuda
    # innodb_file_format_check  ON
    # innodb_file_format_max    Barracuda
    # innodb_file_per_table     ON

I have no clue if that is right or wrong but unfortunately it’s the settings from the hoster. It’s still MySQL 5.6.42.

Regards Valentin

— Event Organiser Pro Version 1.11.16

Valentin Wittich

This should have been fixed in Event Organiser 3.1.8 (see https://github.com/stephenharris/Event-Organiser/issues/404). What version of Event Organiser are you using?

Stephen Harris

I’m already on Event Organiser Version 3.7.6.

But it’s about the wp_eo_booking_ticketmeta at the pro plugin. I patched the install file like the fix you linked above from 3.1.8 and then I works fine.

Here the patch:

--- ./event-organiser-pro/includes/install.php
    +++ ./event-organiser-pro/includes/install.php
    @@ -65,7 +65,7 @@
        $sql_ticketmeta_table ="CREATE TABLE {$wpdb->prefix}eo_booking_ticketmeta (
            meta_id bigint(20) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment,
            eo_booking_ticket_id bigint(20) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
    -       meta_key varchar(255) default NULL,
    +       meta_key varchar(191) default NULL,
            meta_value longtext,
            PRIMARY KEY  (meta_id),
            KEY eo_booking_ticket_id (eo_booking_ticket_id),

Seems that his is still in the new beta too.

Regards Valentin

Valentin Wittich

Sorry Valentin,

I misread your comment. I’ve patched the 2.0 version which will be released shortly.

Stephen Harris
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
To enable me to focus on Pro customers, only users who have a valid license for the Pro add-on may post new topics or replies in this forum. If you have a valid license, please log-in or register an account using the e-mail address you purchased the license with. If you don't you can purchase one here. Or there's always the WordPress repository forum.