Error in formating DateTime object. Expected DateTime, but instead given boolean

WordPress Event Management, Calendars & Registration Forums Report A Bug Error in formating DateTime object. Expected DateTime, but instead given boolean

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Benjamine Heath 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hi,

I’m using the shortcode [eo_fullcalendar] to display our calendar on this page: https://villagezendo.org/calendar/

Periodically, the calendar gets hung up in perpetual loading, and I’ve found because the following call is returning an Error 500:

https://villagezendo.org/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php?action=eventorganiser-fullcal&start=2021-10-31&end=2021-12-05&timeformat=g%3Ai%20a

I’ve noticed that flushing our object cache temporarily resolves this issue, but the error still continues happening periodically. I’m definitely no server-side expert, but I thought that maybe this has to do with object caching on our server (since flushing it fixes it temporarily), so I disabled object caching on that page. However the error continues to persist periodically.

I checked our PHP error logs and found the following:

[28-Nov-2021 22:34:03 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught Exception: Error in formating DateTime object. Expected DateTime, but instead given boolean in /srv/htdocs/wp-content/plugins/event-organiser/includes/event-organiser-utility-functions.php:31
    Stack trace:
    #0 /srv/htdocs/wp-content/plugins/event-organiser/includes/event-organiser-utility-functions.php(164): eo_format_datetime(false, 'F j, Y  g:i a')
    #1 /srv/htdocs/wp-content/plugins/event-organiser/includes/event-organiser-ajax.php(179): eo_format_event_occurrence(20043, 0, 'F j, Y ', 'g:i a', ' - ', false)
    #2 /wordpress/core/5.8.2/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(303): eventorganiser_public_fullcalendar('')
    #3 /wordpress/core/5.8.2/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(327): WP_Hook->apply_filters('', Array)
    #4 /wordpress/core/5.8.2/wp-includes/plugin.php(470): WP_Hook->do_action(Array)
    #5 /wordpress/core/5.8.2/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php(187): do_action('wp_ajax_eventor...')
    #6 {main}
      thrown in /srv/htdocs/wp-content/plugins/event-organiser/includes/event-organiser-utility-functions.php on line 31
    [28-Nov-2021 22:35:22 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught Exception: Error in formating DateTime object. Expected DateTime, but instead given boolean in /srv/htdocs/wp-content/plugins/event-organiser/includes/event-organiser-utility-functions.php:31
    Stack trace:
    #0 /srv/htdocs/wp-content/plugins/event-organiser/includes/event-organiser-utility-functions.php(164): eo_format_datetime(false, 'F j, Y  g:i a')
    #1 /srv/htdocs/wp-content/plugins/event-organiser/includes/event-organiser-ajax.php(179): eo_format_event_occurrence(20043, 0, 'F j, Y ', 'g:i a', ' - ', false)
    #2 /wordpress/core/5.8.2/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(303): eventorganiser_public_fullcalendar('')
    #3 /wordpress/core/5.8.2/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(327): WP_Hook->apply_filters('', Array)
    #4 /wordpress/core/5.8.2/wp-includes/plugin.php(470): WP_Hook->do_action(Array)
    #5 /wordpress/core/5.8.2/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php(187): do_action('wp_ajax_eventor...')
    #6 {main}
      thrown in /srv/htdocs/wp-content/plugins/event-organiser/includes/event-organiser-utility-functions.php on line 31

Can you please help?

Thanks,

Ben

Benjamine Heath

Hi Ben,

This generally happens if the event has no dates. In my experience it can happen if you have another events plug-in installed, or you if you have switched from another and you had some existing events from that plug-in.

In this instance I can see this line is being called with the occurrence ID set to 0. The event in question is 20043. It may be worth checking the eo_events table for any rows with post_id set to 20043.

If it does then I would next check the query being run (this is an excellent plugin for that: https://wordpress.org/plugins/query-monitor/). It might be there is another plug-in interfering with the database query.

However, since you mentioned that clearing object cache seems to fix this issue, then its likely event queries are being cached, and I suspect the cached results are missing the occurrence ID. When required, the plug-in modifies database queries for events to join the event dates, but if the caching is being done before that, then its possible its caching a previous query which didn’t join the event dates. The plug-in then caches the calendar, so this would explain why it might work for a while.

I’m not sure how granular, but if you can disable the caching for a post type, you might find that resolves the issue. However, typically with object caching it works at the database query level.

Stephen Harris

Hi Stephen,

Thanks so much for your detailed response—this is very helpful.

I installed Query Monitor and this is was the response from admin-ajax.php when it gave the latest 500 error:

Fatal error: Uncaught Exception: Error in formating DateTime object. Expected DateTime, but instead given boolean
    in /srv/htdocs/wp-content/plugins/event-organiser/includes/event-organiser-utility-functions.php on line 31

Call stack:

eo_format_datetime()
    wp-content/plugins/event-organiser/includes/event-organiser-utility-functions.php:164
    eo_format_event_occurrence()
    wp-content/plugins/event-organiser/includes/event-organiser-ajax.php:179
    eventorganiser_public_fullcalendar()
    wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php:303
    WP_Hook::apply_filters()
    wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php:327
    WP_Hook::do_action()
    wp-includes/plugin.php:470
    do_action()
    wp-admin/admin-ajax.php:187

I did a search in our DB for the latest post_id that returned the error, and I found these entries:

Is one of the event_occurrence’s supposed to be 0, and is that occurrence id throwing the error? If it is, it seems that occurrence id works fine normally….. but when it’s cached, 0 is read as a boolean? (shot in the dark, I’m a little out of my depth)

I spot checked a few other events, and many events have their event_occurrence as 0.

Thanks so much for your help,

Ben

Benjamine Heath
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
To enable me to focus on Pro customers, only users who have a valid license for the Pro add-on may post new topics or replies in this forum. If you have a valid license, please log-in or register an account using the e-mail address you purchased the license with. If you don't you can purchase one here. Or there's always the WordPress repository forum.