Documentation for how to use iCal to import Google Calendar

WordPress Event Management, Calendars & Registration Forums iCal Extension Documentation for how to use iCal to import Google Calendar

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Stephen Harris 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Hi,
    I purchased the iCal module so that I can import and have automated syncs with Google Calendar.

After the purchase I see ZERO documentation or instructions on how to do this. I expect it’s trivially simple to do, but need some direction.

Maybe this support channel can provide a tip or link to how to use this?

Thank you,
    Stephen

Stephen Pierce

Hi Stephen,

Here is a step by step guide to importing events from Google calendar: http://docs.wp-event-organiser.com/quick-start/importing-an-ical-feed-from-google-2/

Stephen Harris

Hi Stephen,

It seems these steps are for a 1 time manual import.

I see the link to Beta instructions from 5 years ago which appear obsolete.

I’m trying to understand what settings should be used in the
    • Event Organiser iCal Sync

They plugin I just purchased.

For example, I have an email address and password for Google Calendars, but I see no place to enter this information in the setup.

Thank you for your help.
    Stephen

Stephen Pierce

Follow up –
    I found the Sharable Link
    https://calendar.google.com/calendar/b/5?cid=aW5mb0BzYWNyZWRzcGFjZXNwaXJpdHVhbGNlbnRlci5vcmc

Then input this as the Source field on iCal Feeds and entered a name and clicked “Add New Feed” Then I selected Fetch.

When displaying the calendar, it’s blank – none of the events are carried forward.

Stephen Pierce

Hi Stephen,

My apologies, I sent you the wrong link. You need to use the iCal url used for the manual import as the feed’s source.

Stephen

Stephen Harris

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for your reply. However, I’m still perhaps further lost.

The Google look has changed a lot in the few years since the instructions were written.

Can you tell me [exactly] where to find this link?

Prior to your reply, I found a “sharable” link.. it looks like this:
    https://calendar.google.com/calendar/b/5?cid=aW5mb0BzYWNyZWRzcGFjZXNwaXJpdHVhbGNlbnRlci5vcmc

Is this correct? If so, it doesn’t work. Zero events are pulled.

In attempting to follow the instructions again this evening I stumbled across this:
    https://calendar.google.com/calendar/b/5/r?pli=1

The instructions are not clear where to get what, so I’m just making wild guesses at trying any url I stumble across. So far it’s not working and not sure if i’m really close or far away from finding the correct url.

Thank you for clarifying this.

Stephen

Stephen Pierce

Hi Stephen,

Yes I think Google calendar has changed recently. You can find the iCal url by logging into Google calendar:

• Click settings (cog icon)
    • Under ‘Settings for my calendars’, on the left hand side, click the appropriate calendar
    • Click ‘Integrate calendar’ in the submenu that appears, or scroll down the page
    • Use the ‘Public address in iCal format’ (if your calendar is public) or the ‘Secret address in iCal format’ as the source URL.
    Stephen Harris

ah – wonderful! That was so easy! Thank you!

Stephen Pierce

You’re welcome!

Stephen Harris
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
To enable me to focus on Pro customers, only users who have a valid license for the Pro add-on may post new topics or replies in this forum. If you have a valid license, please log-in or register an account using the e-mail address you purchased the license with. If you don't you can purchase one here. Or there's always the WordPress repository forum.