Displaying Events created by a user

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Stephen Harris 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Is it possible to display the events created by a user using the events list shorcode? I would like to display on someones buddypress profile the events they have created for others to view.

Thanks

Lukas Feddern

like would it be possible to do something like this

add something like this to functions.php:

function custom_shortcode() {

$user_id = get_the_author_meta( 'ID' );
    echo get_events_created_by_user( $user_id );

}
    add_shortcode( ‘eo_custom_shortcode’, ‘custom_shortcode’ );

then use [ep_custom_shortcode] on the buddypress profile?

but is there a function like get_events_created_by_user() for event organiser.

BTW i have very limited knowledge of php at the moment – just learning… Any help would really be appreciated as EO does everything I need apart from this!

Lukas Feddern

If this isn’t possible would it be possbile to achieve a similar result by doing an automatic search by the user name (the main page title on account name) and then displaying the results?

Lukas Feddern

Hi Lukas,

If you wanted a list of events owned by a user, you could use:

[eo_events author=<id of user>]

So you could create a custom shortcode which invokes that one, and sets the ID. Or you could use eo_get_events(), with 'author'=>$user_id (see codex for examples of this function: codex.wp-event-organiser.com/function-eo_get_events.html ). I’m assuming here that $user_id is the ID of the desired user.

If you wanted events submitted by a user then you would need to use eo_get_events() to get an array of events, and then generate your own HTML output:

$events = eo_get_events( array(
         'meta_query' => array(
              array(
                    'key' => '_eventorganiser_fes_user',
                    'value' => $user_id,
              ),
         ),

) );

Again, assuming $user_id is the ID of the desired user.

Stephen Harris

Hey Stephen,

Thanks for your reply, just a couple of questions. Surely an event submitted by a user would be owned by a user?
    What is the difference?

Also if I want to use the second method could I be annoying and ask for a little bit more guidance. What would I need to include in the functions.php file and what would I need to include in the relevant template to display a table of submitted events?

thanks

Lukas Feddern

So assuming that a user “owns” on event by submitting them.
    Would a way of creating a custom shortcode that could be used in the
    template for buddypress profile of the user who submitted the event (using do_shortcode()) be:

function custom_shortcode(){

‘author’=> $user_id;
    eo_get_events($user_id)
    }

or would I have to use $user_id = get_the_author_meta( ‘ID’ ); to get the ID of the creator of the
    buddypress profile. Or have I got this wrong completely!!

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Lukas Feddern

Or would it be:

function custom_shortcode()
    {
    $user_id = get_the_author_meta (‘ID’)

do_shortcode(‘[eo_events author=<$user_id>]’)
    }

*to be clear I want to display the events being organised by the buddypress user (these will be submitted by the user using forms)

Lukas Feddern

To clarify the owner or organiser of the event is not necessarily the person who submits it (though typically is). Indeed the plug-in settings allow you to assign submitted events to a particular user (if not the submitter), or at any time you can edit the organiser of an event.

So the following would work:

function custom_shortcode(){
         do_shortcode( '[eo_events author='.$user_id.']' );
    }
    add_shortcode( 'eo_custom_shortcode', 'custom_shortcode' );

I’m assuming here that

retrieves the ID of the user whose profile is being rendered. I don’t know this, and you would have to check with the BuddyPress developers.

Stephen Harris
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
To enable me to focus on Pro customers, only users who have a valid license for the Pro add-on may post new topics or replies in this forum. If you have a valid license, please log-in or register an account using the e-mail address you purchased the license with. If you don't you can purchase one here. Or there's always the WordPress repository forum.