Categories Listed Twice

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Stephen Harris 9 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Hi Stephen,

I’m having an issue where the categories of imported events are acting bizarre. I first noticed it when the preset category colors stopped showing up on the frontend calendar. The events on the frontend are in their correct categories, but on the backend they show the category listed twice (we only have two categories).

Any help on resolving this is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jonathan

enter image description here

Jonathan Thompson

Hi Jonathan,

Unfortunately I’ve not been able to replicate this error. I’ve tested this where the feed contains duplicate category entries for an event, but the plug-in (correctly) only creates the new category once (or not at all if already exists). (I did find one error in that a new category is created, but the event not assigned to it – on subsequent syncs the now existing category is assigned – but this is another issue).

If you’re able to inspect the database you could check to see if the term appears more than once. (You might want to check Events > Categories, too – does “Erie Pharmacy” only appear once?). Since the front-end is working correctly my hunch is that the issue isn’t with the database or that the category has been created multiple times.

Unfortunately that doesn’t explain why the category appears twice in the admin column, nor why the category colours are not being applied. (Oddly the function that gets the categories on the front-end is the same as the one that does it admin side). You may want to first rule out any plug-in/theme compatibility before we go any further in debugging this.

Just to confirm, you’ve set to assign the categories to the event that appears in the iCal feed?

Stephen Harris

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the quick reply. We also have Front End Submission installed and we got our first submission yesterday after I posted here on the forum. The FES event also got the double category. Very curious.

I’ll do the plugin / theme compatibility check. If it’s not there, I’ll start digging in the DB and get back with you.

To answer your question: We have two feeds (Medicine Outlook Calendar and Pharmacy Outlook Calendar) and two categories (Erie Medicine and Erie Pharmacy). Each feed is set to the matching category in the Import/Export settings.

Thanks, Jonathan

• This reply was modified 9 years, 4 months ago by  Jonathan Thompson.
    Jonathan Thompson

Found the culprit!

It was plugin called Anything Order. Deactivated it -> category colors returned on frontend and categories are back to normal (no more double time) on the backend.

Thanks again for your help!

Jonathan

Jonathan Thompson

Hi Jonathan,

Glad that’s sorted for you.

Unfortunately after inspecting Anything Order’s source code there was anything that stood as out the culprit. I suspect, given that the affects it will probably be down to https://github.com/pimpmysite/anything-order/blob/master/modules/taxonomy/class.php#L109:L114 (although it is not clear why this is returning duplicated category terms). Additionally, after installing the plug-in, and trying my best to replicate this issue, I’ve not yet been able to do so.

If the plug-in is one you require, I’d be happy to investigate this further, but any further debugging would probably need to be done on your installation, unless I’m able to replicate the issue.

Stephen Harris

Hi Stephen,

We deleted the Anything Order plugin and went with a different re-ordering plugin (Post Types Order). Sorry for not making that clear.

I don’t know what was causing the weird behavior with Anything Order. However, everything with the calendar is working as it should now.

Best regards,
    Jonathan

Jonathan Thompson

Hi Jonathan,

No apology needed – I would have investigated the problem even if you had said that.

Stephen Harris
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
To enable me to focus on Pro customers, only users who have a valid license for the Pro add-on may post new topics or replies in this forum. If you have a valid license, please log-in or register an account using the e-mail address you purchased the license with. If you don't you can purchase one here. Or there's always the WordPress repository forum.