Calendar in some browsers not loading

WordPress Event Management, Calendars & Registration Forums Report A Bug Calendar in some browsers not loading

This topic contains 16 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Adnan Akbas 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Hi all,

I am having a problem with the calendar view:
    http://www.csu-landsberg.de/termine/
    Please scroll down to the bottom of the page.

In some browsers the calendar it self ist not loading and in some other calendars the dates are not loading, as shown on the screenshot.
    Screeshot on a iPad showing the problem

We use the latest PRO version.

Thanks, Rainer

Rainer Jünger

Hi Rainer,

When I view your page I get an authentication challenge. The wp-admin/admin-ajax.php (probably all of the wp-admin directory appears to be password protected. This causes the request to fail (unless you’re logged in). Which might be why the calendar is failing to load one some browsers (i.e. the one’s you’re not logged-in). Unfortunately, without the credentials I couldn’t investigate any further, but it’s very unlikely the calendar itself is having any issues on particular browsers (it has been thoroughly tested ‘in the wild’) – so I suspect it might be the 401 issue.

If you have password protected your wp-admin directory I recommend making an exception for wp-admin/admin-ajax.php, which is widely used as an ajax endpoint for both admin and front-end requests.

Stephen Harris

Hi Stephen,

thank you very much for your answere and your hint.
    I just disabled the basic authentication for debugging.
    Unfortunately the dates are still not loading.

Do you have any further ideas?

Best regards, Rainer

Rainer Jünger

Hi Rainer,

I’ve just checked with Chrome and Firefox, and the calendar is loading fine for me. Are there any particular browsers you’re having problems with (I’ll be able to check IE and Safari next week).

Stephen Harris

I’m having the same or similar issue. The calendar just spins “Loading…” when I’m not logged in but once I log in it works. However, my users won’t be logged in so they are out of luck. I will try to make the exception you noted above and see if that solves it.

Brian O’Neill

Rainer, I’ve since checked the calendar on the following browsers: ie11, Firefox 34 & 43, Safari 7, Chromium 39, Chrome 46 & 48 and it works on all of them. Are you still seeing this problem, and if so, which browser?

Brian, your calendar appears to be rendering correctly. Are you still have this issue too?

Stephen Harris

Hi Stephen,

Per http://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-tutorials/how-to-password-protect-your-wordpress-admin-wp-admin-directory/, I added this code to my .htaccess file:

<Files admin-ajax.php>
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
    Satisfy any
    </Files>

It is now working and as far as I can tell hasn’t caused any new problems.

Brian O’Neill

I am getting reports from users that the calendar is not loading in Firefox, although it will load in other browsers. It seems to be the same issue as reported above. Has anyone found a solution?

Kim Harding

Hi Kim,

Do you have any URLs I can check? The calendar is supported on Firefox, and I’ve not found any issues in testing.

The issue above wasn’t actually browser related at all: if you have password protected the wp-admin directory you will require authentication for all ajax requests (this is not WordPress authentication). So if you’ve authenticated the browser for the wp-admin directory then subsequent ajax requests will succeed. If you don’t, then you’ll get an error. This can give the impression that the issues is specific to a browser, particularly if you’re using a particular browser as a ‘logged-out user’ who wouldn’t have accessed wp-admin to trigger the authentication challenge.

Password protecting your wp-admin directory is a really good idea, you just need to exclude wp-admin/admin-ajax.php.

Stephen Harris

Hi Stephen,

This is the URL http://www.edfoc.org.uk/calendar-of-events/ I have had a number of people tell me that it won’t load in Firefox, but will load in other browsers.

Kim Harding

Hi Kim,

Yes, I’m seeing it too. Could you let me know how you’re using the shortcode (what attributes etc) and also would you be able to set the following in your wp-config.php (following the WP_DEBUG line, or otherwise near the top).

define( 'SCRIPT_DEBUG', true );

That will tell the plug-in to use the non-minified version and the origin of the error should be clearer then.

Stephen Harris

[eo_fullcalendar month=”6″ year=”2016″ nextDayThreshold=00:00:00]

Kim Harding

Thanks Kim,

This is a bug with the month attribute. You can workaround this as follows:

[eo_fullcalendar year="2016" month="06" nextDayThreshold="00:00:00"]

(note the leading 0 in the month). There’ll be a fix for this shortly.

Stephen Harris

Great Thanks

Kim Harding

Hi,

I have the same Problem with Safari. (I have the version 9.0.1)

The only difference is Calendar is showing entries only when I am logged-in.
    When logged-off I see empty calendar and it keeps loading….

Calendar works fine with Firefox & Chrome. The problem exists only with Safari.

I get see no error messages in DEBUG mode.

My site is using SSL (https)

Any ideas?

Adnan Akbas
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
To enable me to focus on Pro customers, only users who have a valid license for the Pro add-on may post new topics or replies in this forum. If you have a valid license, please log-in or register an account using the e-mail address you purchased the license with. If you don't you can purchase one here. Or there's always the WordPress repository forum.