Front-end editing not working, take 2

WordPress Event Management, Calendars & Registration Forums Frontend Submissions Front-end editing not working, take 2

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Willow 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Hello Stephen,

there seems to be a new issue with front-end editing, wonder if it’s related to the recent WP update. Everything work working great, we haven’t updated any templates, just WP and some plugins, including Front-End Submission (I think it was really minor update, shouldn’t have affected this).

I’m logged in as the event owner. When I click the “edit” link from user portal (link that used to work before), it takes me to a page with no fields to edit, and just ‘content’ printed. The WP “edit” link at the bottom of the single event page says “locked” instead of “edit”.

I checked EO permissions and everything is the same as it used to be. All user roles are allowed to edit events.

Help please, the website is now live!

EDITED TO ADD: Development website seems to be working fine, despite all the upgrades. I just copied the entire plugin folder from DEV to the live website and still having the same issues.

Willow

Just to clarify, they actually see the word content? There’s nothing in FES itself that would cause that.

Is there any difference between your development and live environments?

With regards to the recent update, that was simply to fix a bug in an e-mail template tag, and there weren’t any changes with regards to the editing view of events.

Stephen Harris

Yes, I know the FES update was very minor. The theme is exactly the same in both dev and live environments.

It actually shows whatever was entered in the_content and nothing else.

The fact that the link says “locked” instead of “edit” makes me think it’s something to do with permissions or … something else.

What bothers me is that it seems to have happened randomly. I left the site in a fully working condition, made no changes. So I don’t know at what point this happened, and I don’t think anyone else got involved in the backend at all.

Willow

A small clarification:
    link at the bottom of the event page says “locked” instead of “edit” for all users except administrator.
    But even when I’m logged in as administrator and want to edit one of my events, it still doesn’t display the fields to edit anything.

Willow

In the admin dashboard, who does it say is editing the event, and what happens when you log in as that user?

Stephen Harris

Well, this is interesting:
    Regardless of user role, wp-admin is the only way users can edit their events.

Willow

Just to check, this is a submitted event? Only submitted events can be edited from the front-end.

My thinking was to check whether the user who has locked the event can edit it from the front-end, as other uses would loose the ability to edit that event unless they ‘take over’ from that user.

Stephen Harris

Yes, it’s a submitted event, not one generated from the backend.

I received a support request from someone who previously submitted an event via the frontend. Nobody was editing their event at the time, they just came upon this nearly blank page and couldn’t do anything there.

I then created a test user, submitted an event from the front-end and could replicate the problem.

I see what you mean about the event being locked. That could be why after a while I got the “locked” instead of “edit” as I was probably looking at the test even from both admin and creator’s accounts. Ok, that’s explained.

Still doesn’t explain why on the /edit-event/ page nothing shows up.
    My event-meta-event-single.php is full of fields 🙂 I mean nothing changed in that file.

Willow

Just to summarise: the plug-in was working fine in live and development, you updated some plug-ins and WP, and now front-end editing doesn’t function on live, but works as expected on development. When a user visits the /edit-event/ page of an event they submitted they just see the normal event page. The development environment is a carbon copy of live in that they have the same plug-ins, themes and WP core versions, and the same settings.

What’s confusing me at this point is why development and live are behaving differently. Debugging a development site is much preferable to a live site ;).

I’ve just tested this on a test install and beyond some silly mistakes on my part (i.e. not enabling front-end editing), I wasn’t able to replicate the problem.

One thought which did occur to be is if the update upset the site’s rewrite rules, then perhaps the /edit-event/ url is not pointing to the edit event page. This is a long-shot but an easy way to rule this out is to visit ?edit-event=1 or flushing the permalinks.

If that doesn’t work, I’m happy to help debug this on the live site, but if we can get the issue replicating on your development site, that would be much more preferable 😉

Stephen Harris

The summary is correct.

Resaved the permalinks.
    Tried ?edit-event=1626.
    Still getting the same page, blank with just the event details listed.

enter image description here

I will be able to work on this later tonight and by the time you wake up I will hopefully have some hair left. Will keep you updated 🙂

Thank you,

Helen

Willow
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
To enable me to focus on Pro customers, only users who have a valid license for the Pro add-on may post new topics or replies in this forum. If you have a valid license, please log-in or register an account using the e-mail address you purchased the license with. If you don't you can purchase one here. Or there's always the WordPress repository forum.